Bin the resolutions and embrace 'Hygge': 6 Ideas for a Cozy January
Let's face it, it's cold, dark and you may have seen all the hype about 'blue monday', we've decided to wholeheartedly ignore that and instead aim for a cosy, happy, healthy start to the year with a wonderful injection of Hygge.
January is the perfect time to embrace 'hygge' – the Danish concept of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being. Here we have a week's worth of little ideas to help you create a more happy and hygge January.
1. Create a Cozy Nook: Rearrange a little furniture or a few cushions and transform a corner of your home into a snug retreat. This could be a reading nook with plush cushions, a soft throw, and good lighting. The idea is to have a special spot where you can curl up with a book or a cup of tea and feel cocooned from the world.
2. Light Candles and Use Soft Lighting: Lighting is key in hygge. The soft, flickering glow of candles can instantly make any space feel warmer and more inviting. If candles aren't an option, opt for fairy lights or lamps with warm bulbs to create a soothing ambiance.
3. Enjoy Comfort Foods: Cooking and indulging in comfort foods is a significant aspect of hygge. Stews, soups, and baked goods not only warm the body but also provide a sense of satisfaction and well-being. Enjoy these treats solo or share them with loved ones.
4. Spend Quality Time with Loved Ones: Hygge is about cherishing time with friends and family. Host a casual get-together, play board games, or simply share stories. It's about being present and enjoying each other's company in a relaxed setting.
5. Dress for Comfort and Warmth: Embrace the concept of hygge in your attire. Opt for soft, warm fabrics like wool or fleece. Think comfortable sweaters, thick socks, and scarves. Comfort is key, and feeling warm and snug can greatly enhance your mood.
6. Practice Mindfulness and Gratitude: Hygge isn't just about physical comfort; it's also a mindset. Practicing mindfulness and expressing gratitude for the small joys in life can significantly boost your sense of well-being. Take time each day to reflect on things that make you happy.
7. Say Cheers: Wrap up a week of Hygge loveliness by whipping up an extra special warming drink, think spiced hot chocolate, a special tea, a warming cocktail or mocktail. The kind of drink you would never normally make for yourself. How about mixing one extra and offering it to a friend or loved one to really spread the cosy joy?
Embracing hygge in January can transform the cold and dark days into an opportunity for warmth, relaxation, and joy. By incorporating one or two these ideas into your daily routine, you can create a sense of comfort and contentment that permeates through the winter months. Remember, hygge is all about savoring the simple pleasures in life and finding happiness in the everyday.